chalkboard

Friday, August 3, 2007

Random thoughts from the gangsta 'hood

So last week I had to go to the doctor to have a blood test. A regular occurrence for me because of my thyroid. Well, as the lab technician was taking my blood I noticed that one of her front teeth was a gold tooth with a star cut-out of it--clearly for decorational purposes. It was so funny to me that people actually choose to do that to their teeth. And even funnier still that it took me a good 5 minutes of looking at this woman before I even realized what I was looking at. (What does that say about my observational skills? not much.) So I came home and googled "gold teeth with star cut-out." I couldn't believe the sites I came across with pictures of people's "grills". Apparently that's what they call them. If you would like to see all the nastiness that people put on their teeth, click here. It's pretty ridiculous. You probably don't see much of this out in good ole Utah...but here in the gangsta ghetto, it's quite common. Don't you wish you were here? :)

On a completely different subject...we signed back up at the YMCA a couple of weeks ago. I'm finally facing the fact that I need to workout. It's something that I have been avoiding since I was pregnant with baby #3. I was really good for about a year, then I took this last year off. I'm so out of shape it's not even funny. Something I have come to realize is this: when you choose to workout, you are choosing a life of pain. Seriously, last week I was in so much pain I couldn't hardly function. Over the weekend I recovered, and I was back at the gym this morning in a spinning class. Can't wait to see what that's going to feel like in the morning. And I keep thinking, "oh once my body gets some of its strength back, the pain will be a thing of the past." But then I think back to the year that I worked out consistently. I was in pretty good shape, but I have to say that I was in pain pretty much the whole time. So, I don't know why I like to subject myself to this self-inflicted torture, but I will back for another dose of "pain" tomorrow in my pilates class. It will be worth it in the end...right? I sure hope so.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love a little gansta now and then! That is so funny - especially in a professional environment. Not so encouraging about working out!!! It takes so much to get me to get back in the workout groove when I have been neglecting it. Totally worth it in the end - just kind of the pits until you start seeing results.
Only sad thing my boobs are always the first to go :( LAME!

Megan said...

It is quite the challenge to work out and push yourself to the point of pain. This morning while doing abs- I was asking myself why I was putting myself through the torture- While doing it it's not all that fun, but when you're done it is quite satisfying that I actually hung in their and did it! Best of luck to you :)

Jen Tornow said...

Funny thing about working out. You feel pain, but at the same time, you feel so GOOD!!! Way to go, Annie (although I thought you looked fabulous when I last saw you-and I'm not just saying that)!

Jen said...

I am just jealous you lost all that baby weight without exercise! I must be doing something wrong. I am with Jen Tornow. The soreness after a workout is not that great, but it sure does feel good in the long run. I have gotten out of my workout routine with the summer semester. I am determined to get back to it after my Stats class! We can blog about the pain together.

Layne & Kellie said...

The whole grill thing is so funny. I think it is Pink (the singer) who had a diamond or several diamonds put on her teeth?? Why?

Good luck with the excising. I think the first two weeks are always the worst. Even more so coming off a baby. My legs always felt like jello. But hopefully the pain will go away and you'll enjoy feeling good!

Johnson said...

Some people like to have their teeth look nice and white...others like to make them look like they would after years of eating sugar and not brushing....I don't get it!!!! Although my new Christmas wish list is #1 a gold tooth with I think a heart cut out!!!!

I agree with the working out. I about die when I do work out...hence the wanting a ride home after running/walking the mile to the gym....but I will say when I am done I feel good. Although at my gym after I run on the treadmill or ride the bike I have to walk down stairs to go to the weights and it is amazing I make it down the stairs alive because I feel like I am sort of sliding/stumbling down the stairs. You would think that getting ride of all my fat would feel good enough. I do have to do something about it though because my poor son Dallin the other day was so tempted by my back fat that he actually couldn't resist grabbing it!!!! Sad!!! Good luck!!!

Devon said...

Okay, so I was starting to feel the pain just READING about a spinning class. And you looked great at the reunion - I can't believe that was WITHOUT excercise! It sounds mental, but I am actually jealous of you people who can actually exercise hard because being as pregnant as I'm getting, every day I feel like I jog slower and slower (old lady walkers can zoom past me). It's pretty pathetic! But you are so good to be so dedicated! I can't wait to see "super-buff Annie" when you come back to visit!

Rachel said...

Good for you for working out. You won't be in pain the whole time! I am looking forward to getting out again. I love your story about the gold star- Texas is the Lone Star state right?

Abby said...

I miss that pain, oddly enough. It makes me feel accomplished, and that's better than feeling flabby and winded all the time! I'm signing up for yoga this week. (I need the calm).