chalkboard

Monday, July 9, 2007

Darn You, History Channel!

All right, so last weekend T was watching a program on the History Channel called Decoding the Past: Doomsday 2012: End of Days---sounds really awe-inspiring and uplifting, right? Well, I'm in the same room kind of half-listening to the information on this program that is pretty much telling us that on December 21st, 2012 all hell is going to break loose and the world as we know it is over. Pretty freaky stuff. Now usually on these programs they make all sorts of wild claims, but they always have differing opinions portrayed so that it's a well-rounded, even-handed show. Oh no, not this one. It was pretty much claiming that we're toast in 2012. All of the "science" and calendars (i.e. the mayan calendar, the I Ching, Book of Revelations, Merlin) that they were using as their evidence was pretty convincing. So much so, that I've been thinking about it a lot. We start talking about parts of our house that we want to remodel in a few years, and I immediately say, "well, what's the point...the world's coming to an end in 5 years." Or sometimes I'll just be staring off into space, and T will ask, "What are you thinking about?" And I have to reply, "2012." He finds this really funny. But it's true! I'm starting to obsess a little bit. I'm not ready! I don't have all my food storage. My 72-hour kits are in really sad shape--I think we ate all the food and didn't replace it yet. And let's face it, I just don't feel like I'm righteous enough yet for all this to happen!

And then to top it all off, he was watching yet another program on the History Channel called The Universe, and it was all about the Sun and solar activity. And based on the evidence they have, they pretty much think that the Earth's poles are going to change, and it is going to create mass chaos on Earth--i.e. major earthquakes, fires, and just plain catastrophe!--in you guessed it, 2012. Can this all be a coincidence? I don't know. But what I DO know is that I'm not watching the History Channel anymore!

On a much lighter note...

My girls have been listening to Wicked a lot lately. T's dad, had the soundtrack at their house in Utah, and G is obsessed with it! And because she likes anything her sister likes, H is likewise obsessed. I bought the soundtrack last week, and it's all they want to listen to. Their favorite song is "Defying Gravity." It was so funny, yesterday afternoon, they were dressing up (as usual), but this time, they came downstairs dressed up as Elphaba and Galinda. Then, they spent the majority of the afternoon listening to the soundtrack and singing along. What funny girls I have! And so I leave you with a cute pic of my girls, elphie and galinda...

15 comments:

Jen Tornow said...

Isn't it crazy how some of the things we see on TV can really affect us? I guess just take it as a reminder to be prepared!! I'm going to have to listen to Wicked. I've been hearing so much good stuff about it! I just love your girls. I wish Cecily had a fun sister to dress up with!

Anonymous said...

I keep telling Jeff we need to do better with our food storage! 2012 - that's not very far away! I haven't traveled enough yet!!! I get affected by TV too - Jeff made me stop watching ER Delivery shows when I was prego with Ruby. We are going to Wicked when we go see Jason & Lyn - I am so excited! I love that your girls dress up - can't wait until Ruby does!

Rachel said...

I LOVE the picture of your "Wicked" little girls. How cute is that? As far as the world coming to an end- I guess all we can do is get ourselves as prepared as possible. We know it's going to happen someday.

Mandy said...

Cute! I love the wicked soundtrack...and Defying Gravity is my favorite song too!!! Ok and on your doomsday tv...somebody in Sunday school was talking about how the end of the world was going to be 2012 too! I thought they were nuts! Now at least I know they weren't just making something up!

Johnson said...

Okay, so everyone else is just telling you that you should be prepared by I am royally freaking out. Tell me more. Now you know I am going to be researching it for the rest of my, let's see....one, two, three, four,..Five years left here on the earth. Thanks Annie I am now finding a new obsession and paranoia!!! On, that lighter note...your girls are absolutely gorgeous. Girls....ah, they melt my heart!!

Jen said...

Annie, if you makes you feel better-- our idea of food storage is a couple of cases of canned food every so often from Costco. If the end comes sooner then later we will be camped out at Min and Deron's like the foolish virgins begging for oil. Have you seen their food storage? Fabulous.

Jen Tornow said...

Annie, I was reading the news on the internet tonight and found an article that made me laugh and think of you. Here's the link: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=1461712

Dottie Stay said...

I need a girl! I want someone to listen to play music. They are so cute. It sounds like Wicked is totally awesome! My sister andI are going to see it in september when we take our families to Disneyland. That will bemy time away from the chaos. I wish you were still here. That time wnet by WAY to fast!!

Dottie Stay said...

PS

Yeah, don't worry about the History Channel thing. The whole point, it that we don't know when anything will happen, that's why we should always be striving to be prepared right? Here I am talking like I am prepared. I would burn to ashes if things came to an end right now. That was a good wake up call for me to remember to always try to be bettter. Heck, I just need to change my whole life, and stop the profanities alright, there I said it. I will do better. Anyway, the food stage thing. Deron's parents give us food storgeevery year for Christmas! They are so smart, and I love it. Deron also it the stocking up kind, so really I can't take any credit.

Dottie Stay said...

Um, yeah, I can't spell.

Layne & Kellie said...

That is crazy stuff. Layne had watched a dramatization on the discovery channel also. It showed what would happen if the volcano (the inactive one that makes Old Faithful) blew. Basically it would blow us up and change the northern hemisphere. That made me feel good since we are not that far from it.

Crazy how the Discover channel is such an informative channel but sure can freak you out. I'm the same as you... we need to brush up on our food storage. GOOD LUCK!!

By the way... what is Wicked??

Annie said...

Becky--I feel your pain. I'm obsessed, too!
Min--I'm coming to live with you in case of disaster because you seem the most prepared.
Kellie--It's a fabulous musical from Broadway that is a sort-of spinoff of the Wizard of Oz.

Anonymous said...

Ok, you got me freakin out too. Way to go! Actually, thanks for the reminder to get my food storage going.

Love the pictures of the girls. I love the music from Wicked too!

Devon said...

Your girls are so cute! That picture is darling! It's funny you mentioned the Wicked soundtrack, because I was listening to it in the car while driving my Activity Day girls yesterday to Day Camp, and one of the girls asked me if I could switch it to the radio because the CD was "really annoying". I was so offended! Kids now-a-days have no culture! McKinley loves listening to Wicked like your girls, but she likes the song "One Short Day." I think she'd love to dress up with your girls! Oh, and thanks for the 2012 info. I didn't have enough on my mind, so that's good to know. Give Trevor a hug and kiss for me (but not THAT kind of kiss please...JK) and tell your girls hi!

malia said...

Your girls are super adorable. I love that they love to dress up. What a fun life kids have, huh? And in regards to that 2012 stuff....wow. I didn't realize it was the new Y2K. Interesting. But you are right, it is a good thing to be prepared...you just never know, really. I guess the best thing to do is break it into chunks so that you don't overwhelmed. I think that we often have problems with "so much to do, so little time" so much so that it is paralyzing. Anyway, I hope you don't worry too much. Yeah, no one is perfect, but I think that you will be ok... :)