chalkboard

Sunday, July 15, 2007

The curse of Harry Potter

Wow, where do I begin...we've had a busy week. Well, as busy as a lazy summer can get, I guess. We had only been home a week, and I was feeling a little trunky. So, I packed the kiddos up and drove to Austin to visit some good friends. I love Austin because 1. we have friends, 2. there are fewer mosquitoes (thanks to a huge bat colony), 3. The Potterybarn Outlet (same cute pottery barn stuff for CHEAP--need I say more?), 4. we have friends (oh, did I already say that?) The kids had a great time swimming and hanging out with friends. The only downside was one of the little boys was sick. Read on to find out why it was the "downside" for us.

Well, as many of you know I am anxiously awaiting the release of the final book in the Harry Potter series. I'm a little bit of a freak about it. But I am truly excited. And in my need to fulfill my Harry Potter addiction, I want to see the new Harry Potter movie as well. So, Trevor and I decided that on Friday afternoon we would get a babysitter and get tickets to see the movie at the IMAX in 3-D. (I know, I told you I was a little bit of a freak.) So, we had a babysitter and tickets all lined up on Thursday--I was really proud of the fact that we were planning ahead. Hence the disappointment when at 2am on Friday morning (yes that was in the "a.m."), we are awakened by a hurling 5 year old (remember the sick friend we were with in Austin? Yep.) I don't deal well in all things related to vomit, so I woke up T and said "please...I can't deal with it." My husband is an angel. He immediately wiped the sleep from his eyes and cleaned up the mess. No complaints were uttered. He is a saint. Later, on the same day, H was complaining that her ears hurt. Well, I didn't want to get into the weekend with another sick kid with possible ear infections, so I took her into the doctor. Diagnosis: Double middle-ear infections, and swimmer's ear in the right ear. Poor girl. Oh, and the baby has a croupy cough. So, our plans were foiled. Yes, whenever you plan ahead, something in the universe plots against you...or maybe it's just our kids plotting against us. So, we've rescheduled our date for Monday night (I know, it's technically FHE night, but come on, it's Harry Potter!) So, I'm fully on alert and expecting another round of throwing up tonight to foil those plans again.

Now, this little gem is called a BUMBO. (T always calls it the b*i*mbo...T: "hey annie, where's that b*i*mbo?" Me: "Uh, are you calling our sweet baby girl names? I THINK you mean, the bumbo.) I love this babyseat! And so does Baby K. She thinks she's such a big girl in it. She loves to sit with us a dinner like such a big girl. I know, technically it should only be placed on the floor, but who am I to spoil her fun? These seats are designed to make it really hard for the kids to squirm out of them, and also it helps her sit up on her own.

Well, I better go. T wants to brush up on his Harry Potter knowledge by watching the 4th movie to prepare himself for the new movie tomorrow. Let's all say it together: We are GEEKS!

10 comments:

Annie said...

just in case you're all wondering why I put asterisks (*) in b*i*mbo, I didn't want some sicko googling the real word and having my blog pop-up. Sorry for any confusion. Better safe than sorry.

Dottie Stay said...

You are so funny, and you guys are not geeks. I think it is great to have things that you like. I would marry Kiefer if anything happened to Deron. :) I hope your kids are feeling better! There is nothing worse then having sick kids. I hope you guys don't get sick either. Godd luck with Harry Potter plans. Let us know what happens.

Jen Tornow said...

Love the Bumbos! Cecily will not eat at grandma's house until she is in the bumbo! (Even though she is too big for it now!) I guess it's just routine and she thinks that's how it's supposed to be at grandmas! But they really are great, and I love that they are light and soft, and you aren't afraid of them scratching your table.

Jen said...

After mentioning the Pottery Barn outlet, the rest of the post really just didn't matter. (Just kidding!) I am so jealous of the pottery barn outlet! My brother and his wife are all into the Harry Potter thing, and we were their babysitters for the movie, which they LOVED. So, I understand. Have a good time!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the sick kids. I hope you get to enjoy the movie tonight!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the barfs! Never fun. I too go go crazy for Harry Potter! I pre ordered my copy and it is getting delivered to my door. Won't be doing much cleaning that day! Bumbo's are fantastic! Love Pottery Barn extra much when it is is cheap!!! Have fun at the movies!

Rachel said...

There is nothing worse than having a date foiled by sick kids! It makes me sick myself. I too am excited about the latest Harry Potter book, you'll have to let me know if you enjoy the movie. I don't think I even saw the last one, so I need to catch up on that end of things!

Annie said...

Just got back from the movie...it was fantastic! Highly recommeded viewing, especially in 3D. It makes me very excited for the forthcoming book this Saturday!

Johnson said...

Yeah, I am so glad that I am not a geak all by myself. I am obsessed too with Harry Potter and i am rereading number six so that I am ready to go with number 7. I haven't seen the movie yet because like you said....it never works out! We have decided that dating is not for us because something does always go wrong...nothing like renting a movie! I can't wait to chat about the new book!!!

Layne & Kellie said...

I can't wait until the book comes out. Layne doesn't really get into it . Though he doesn't mind watching the movies.

Sorry to hear about the sick. But I am glad you were able to go. I've never seen it in 3-d. That sounds sweet!!