chalkboard

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Squeaky Wheel...

All right, everyone has heard the old saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." Well I have found, in my life, this is completely true. For example, G, a.k.a. "Big Squeaky Wheel," finally wore me down and I gave in to her getting her ears pierced. Am I failure as a mother since I caved? Look at that smug face...she is so proud she got her way. There's never been a hard and fast rule about what age she needed to be. I've always told her "well, I had to wait until I was 12,"---but is that really a good reason? Just because I had to wait doesn't automatically mean she has to wait, does it? This was my quandary. So I told her that she would have to be a big girl and take care of them, which she of course told me she would. (I also made sure she understood that this was the only piercing that would be aloud forevermore in our house!) So we went on a Mommy/Daughter Date. We went to Claire's to pick out some bling for her ears. I have to say, I thought maybe she would chicken out...because, let's face it, she can be a pretty big wimp. But she sat in that chair like such a big girl, and she didn't even cry. She just looked a little shocked. Now that the deed is done, I think she talks about her ears more now than before! She's such a girly-girl. Now when she is getting ready for school, she puts on a necklace and bracelet as well. It's usually a little overkill and I have to put the nix on something. Girls...oi vay!


Gotta keep updated pics of my other "squeaky wheels" for grandparents!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also gave into Meghann and let her get her ears pierced just over a year ago. So far she has taken care of them and we have only had one minor problem when her earring snagged on the hair of a Cabbage Patch doll. Ouch! I think Grace looks cute! Best of luck!

Rachel said...

Kamryn got her ears pierced last year too. I wanted to wait until she could care for them herself and not pull at them etc. I also wanted her to know what she was getting in to- in other words that it was going to hurt a little bit. She decided she was ready one day and we went and did it. I admit I felt guilty letting my daughter poke holes in her perfect ears, but I guess that is how it goes. We also had the talk about these being the only holes she was allowed to put in her body! Grace looks cute! So do the other to "squeakers!"

jennie said...

Do any of you remember that I had to wait until I was 16 to get my ears pierced? Speaking of overkill. I think my parents did that hoping that I wouldn't want other piercings later in life. They didn't exactly foresee that I would marry a boy who wanted me to get a belly ring. I kept thinking that if I got a belly ring, I just knew it would get infected and I'd have to tell my mom. That scared me more than anything. Luckily Pres. Hinckley's piercing decree came out, in the nick of time, so I was saved from the "Wrath of Connie".

Megan said...

I snuck around for quite a while hoping my parents wouldn't notice that my ears were double peirced. I was in college! I hear ya Jennie-I didn't want the "wrath of Marjorie" Yikes!

Dottie Stay said...

i think it si a great. if she knew what she was gietting into, then i say let her get them pierced. I was 21 before I got mine pierced. talk about the wrath of Rosie!