chalkboard

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Big Time Saturday Night...

Well, here it is...the weekend. Do you remember back in the good old days when weekends were fun and fancy free? We didn't have a care in the world--nothing tying us down. Date nights were abundant (well maybe not abundant, but the possibility of abundance was there.) And even though now our weekends consist of somewhat of the same as what goes on during the week--i.e. caring for children, cleaning up messes, wiping noses, doing projects around the house, grocery shopping, wiping the kitchen table for the millionth time, the list can go on forever--I still find myself looking forward to the weekend. What is it about the weekend? Maybe it's the fact that husbands are home from work, and it just feels like there's freedom in the air. I don't know what point I'm trying to make, other than I look forward to the weekend. But, here I sit, on Saturday night--kids in bed, husband chaperoning a multi-stake dance (I think he could have gotten out of it, but maybe he's brushing up on his dancing skills--ha!) and I'm sitting on my behind-- blogging. Pretty exciting. The girls and I actually did do something fun tonight in the absence of Trevor. We went to some friends' house for dinner with a couple families from our ward. It was fun to visit and let the kids play for a while. (Thanks Kinsey for organizing, and Laura for hosting!)
I keep meaning to post some of the funny things that Holly has been saying lately. Today, she kept saying "yes, ma'am" to me. I thought it was so funny. Because when Grace would say "yes, ma'am" to her, she would say, "hey, I'm not a man!" Another funny thing...slightly sacriligious, but still funny. She gets the words Heavenly Father and Harry Potter mixed up. We were in Costco walking by the bigscreen tv section and they were playing the latest Harry Potter movie. So, she keeps saying, "Mom, mom! I want to watch Heavenly Potter!" She has also been expanding her vocabulary to include the word "totally." Is she my child? Totally. This girl, though exasperating 99% of the time, she sure is hilarious.
So, my baby brother got engaged today. I can't believe it. He's not old enough to get married is he? I called him today to wish him a happy birthday, and he told me the good news. I'm so excited and happy for him. He's marrying a great gal. So I guess it's okay that they are disrupting our plans to go to Ireland in May. We'll just have to reschedule our trip--ooh, and maybe as payback I'll rope them into babysitting!
Okay, enough random ramblings on my part. I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is sad how our weekends turn into not that eventful - however I agree there is something that makes me look forward to them too - must be the hubby being at home. Love the "Heavenly Potter"! Totally is in my vocab too and I'm sure Ruby will be saying stoaked any day now! Fun for your Bro sad about Ireland.

The Galan Family said...

Your weekdays and weekends sound exactly like ours. I see these newly married couples in our ward and I think "they just don't realize the freedom they have." As wonderful as it is to have children, I would love to be able to go back to those carefree days and enjoy it a little bit more. Perry and I joke about how cool it would be to just cryogenically freeze our kids for the evening and go out. Are we crazy? Does anyone else have those thoughts? Probably not. Congrats to Jordan! I assume it was the girl he brought to the family Christmas party? I can't believe he's getting married!

Rachel said...

Grrr. . . I just made a long comment and then blogger had some error and couldn't post it. Let me just sum it up. I love weekends. Don't know why because they are as boring as the rest of the week. I laughed at Holly's comments. Loved Heavenly Potter. My kids mix up Harry Potter and Peter Parker. They call him Peter Potter. Sorry. My last post was so much better, but I'm not typing it again!

Anonymous said...

Sundays are super crazy, so I am not sure why I look forward to the weekend so much. But it sure is nice to have Ray home to help referee a little bit. Congrats to Jordan!

aaron and allee said...

Jordan is engaged?! That is wonderful (Spencer won't be happy to hear it...he will get teased even more)! So, I just saw you responded on your comments about the letter from Santa...I am so sorry! Between being sick and spending a month in Las Vegas with my family, I was a little out of the loop for a while. I can definitely do it for you this Christmas or if she needs a mid-year letter...

Dottie Stay said...

Hooly is hilarious! I love that she would tell grace that she is not a man! Funny! Congrats to the Bro, and sorry about Ireland. That sounds like such blast! Don't worry, maybe you can rope hem int babysitting!

Dottie Stay said...

I meant Holly!

Abby said...

That dinner sounds an awful lot like the old playgroup gang--does that mean I might have been invited too? Sounds fun. I need friends and a playgroup in this ward. I hear ya about weekends--I have such high hopes and they turn out very ordinary. Not so much disappointing (unless we intended to get a lot done and then sat around and took naps instead)--just not as exciting as when we were young and you never knew what the weekend might have in store! I've been meaning to read about that Heavenly Potter, by the way...classic.

jennie said...

Cute Holly! Congrats to the baby bro! I'd love to see Trev do the Red Team dance for us once more.

Annie said...

You would definitely have been invited, Abby!

Mandy said...

Yes there is something about the weekend....Jon had to work all weekend putting in new software in his office and I was completely drained wondering why 2 weekend days of total mothering is more exhausting than the whole 5 week days! As always I think Holly and Emma would make a hilarious and very scary team together! Next time you are in town we must get them (and Grace) together to play!

malia said...

I love the weekends too! Doesn't matter if it is full of running errands, cleaning house, or just sitting and doing nothing. I just love them. And don't think that I didn't do anything on the weekend...because I do. :) Sometimes. :)

Natalie said...

Oh how I remember those fancy free days:) I think about those a lot! The weekends are always nice, because we get some help from the husbands and get to spend a little time together as a family.

Cute comments from your little Holly! I just crack up at my kids all the time. I need to be better at writing it all down.

Congrats to your little brother on getting engaged! Weddings are always fun, especially when you aprove of the fiance:)

Ace said...

Heavenly Potter! I love it!