chalkboard

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Updates on all manner of subjects...

So it seems the Lord has plans for us to remain in Houston for a while. We fasted all day yesterday and went to the temple. I kept asking Trevor if he had seen a light and heard a voice yet. It's really not fair how he can just receive answers so easily. I think I'm just a lost cause on that front. But after going to the temple, he indeed had received a very clear answer that we were to remain where we are. Now let me tell you what I think about all this.

In our 7 1/2 years of married life, we have moved several times. In fact this 2 1/2 years that we have been in Houston has been the longest we have been in one spot. Because of all the moving, I have become accustomed to changing my scenery every couple of years (or less). And since we have been here for practically an eternity, I am experiencing what I like to call "itchy feet". I just start getting the itch for a change. Does that make sense? Change is hard, don't get me wrong. It's just what I've gotten used to. And the possibility of Oklahoma provided that change. It also provided me with an opportunity escape this next summer in Houston! I need to clarify, though, that I love our home here in Houston. We have a great ward, and there so many great people here. I would have been sad to leave, if only for a year. But no worries about that anymore, because we're here for a while. Grace was very relieved that we are staying. She is such a social being, and loves her friends quite a lot. So, enough talk about Oklahoma. Who needs it!!! :)

So, since we're staying....you should see what Trevor got for himself for MY birthday! Yeah, ask me how I really feel about it. All I wanted was a new tv (to replace the old 20-incher)with HD capabilities for the future event of the switch-over to HD broadcasting. Oh, and I wanted a more sturdy tv console that my 11-month old can't pull over on herself--you know, because anything is an improvement on the nightstand that the tv has been sitting on. So, all in the name of the safety of our children...we now have a new flatscreen tv, with a full theater surround sound system, and of course he also needed a new blu-ray dvd player. You know, because we own so many blu-ray discs. Yes, heavy sarcasm is definitley implied. I won't tell you what the whole thing cost, because I really want to erase that knowledge from my mind. What is it about men and their desire for the best quality, most realistic home movie experience? I will never understand... Although, he's watching Pirates of the Caribbean on it right now, and it is pretty sweet. So I guess I'll stop giving him such a hard time about it.

Funny Holly story of the day...
So today I was kind of on an organization spree. I was going through the girls' room, and throwing away old junk that just seems to pile up. Well, one of the toys that I happened to put in the trash was a little happy meal toy from forever ago. I didn't think anyone would even notice that it was missing. Boy was I wrong. A little while later, I overheard some commotion from Holly telling her dad that she didn't want that toy thrown away. (I guess my children check the trash to see what is in there.) Her dad said that she needed to be okay with it going in the trash. She then comes running in the kitchen to tell me the whole drama. I couldn't keep from laughing when she ended her plea by saying, "but it is just so precious to me." (sniff sniff). Of course I let her keep the dumb toy...I mean, if it's that precious to her, who am I to be throwing it away?

Oh, and an update on my first week of dieting. I did excellent! I actually lost 4.8 pounds, which really surprised me. But, hey, I'll take it! Now I just need to stick with it...

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey- congrats on the 4.8 lbs that have fled the premisis! I'm not even going to weigh in- I'll just know I'm there when my jeans fit again! Love the Holly story, what is it about our dramatic second daughters? Sorry about OK, who knows where you guys will end up in the next little while- right? Yemen anyone? :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I have to agree about the present thing. Ray seems to always buy a present for himself for MY birthday. Guys are funny that way. We too have a larger and louder than needed TV and sound system. It is Ray's baby and he loves it. So funny!

Johnson said...

I wish I could lose weight. I started my diet and I think my body went into shock. I feel miserable and I think I gained another 5. That makes me laugh about the new "movie setup" because Greg is the same way. He has brought me downstairs like 50 times to hear different kinds of movies and how they sound with the surround sound. Ya, pretty cool but I was just fine with the other normal speakers. Boys are funny. I hear ya on the moving thing. It think it might be a drug for me. I have to have change and I actually have gotten used to moving so much that I kind of like it. Keeps ya from those big callings at church....just kidding!!! Glad you guys are home and safe and getting back into the swing of things. It was so much fun to see ya!!!!

jennie said...

Go Annie, it's your birthday, go Annie.... Happy birthday! I'll have you know, that I remmebered it was your b-day before I read your blog. I hope it's a good one!

I'm a little jealous of your TV situation. We are behind in the high-tech world, although we did upgrade from a 3rd time hand me down TV stand, to a 1st time hand me down entertainment center (that is from the VERY EARLY 90's) but it works! Right now, we are just trying to get someone to come hook up our dish so we can dvr all our favorites! THat has been a very difficult task for some reason. HMPH!

Have a good one!

Dottie Stay said...

Congrats on the Accomplishment! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Glad you got what you wanted for your birthday. That just means that when Trev's birthday comes around again you make sure he gets exactly what he wants like a shopping spree for you! Hope you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

I too get the itch for change! I usually have to rearrange furniture to get my fix. Jeff was the same with our TV. I just wanted a normal size but, he was much more into bigger is better - and I have finnally agreed on getting a blue-ray. We need a better stand for our TV though, just a cuter one. Congrats on the diet success! I was just thinking how sad it will be to have a squooshy belly after this baby comes. Happy Birthday too!

Michelle Y said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like Trevor is enjoying your big day...hope you get some good use out of it too. Glad to hear you guys know where to be for now, I know what you mean about moving around every few years, we've kind of done the same thing. You just come to expect change. Sounds like the kids are excited about staying put. Take care!!

Ace said...

Yay! 4.8 lbs. Way to go Annie!

I think my ex-husband did something similar. Boys and their toys. :)