chalkboard

Monday, January 7, 2008

...where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

All right, I'm finally getting around to updating my blog. I feel like it's been centuries! Due to our trip to Utah, I've been a bit disconnected. But I'm sure once I dig myself and my family out of our suitcases, do a mountain of laundry, put away Christmas, go through the gigantic pile of mail that was delivered today (two week's worth), clean my house, teach piano students, and just do the day to day stuff, I will catch up on what everyone is up to on their blogs, too! I'm a little mixed on the emotions of being home after such a great trip to Utah. We had such a blast. And being home is nice and all (their's nothing like your own bed), and having Kate in her own bed (hallelujah!) and bedroom (can I hear an amen?), but their is a bittersweetness about coming off of such a fun trip and going back to reality. Grace went back to school today. I taught 4 kids piano. And I only got halfway through putting Christmas away. Nothing like getting back to the grind of everyday life. On the upside, I did get to go to Costco for a little "therapy".

It was so much fun to visit with family and friends over Christmas. How blessed we are to be surrounded by such wonderful people all the time. Amidst all the family parties, game nights, and general merriment, Trevor and I did find a little time to escape on our own. He planned the whole thing. We stayed at a little bed and breakfast up in Midway that was just fantastic. It was so beautiful up there with all the snow. We swam in the crater, and we even got to spend a few hours in the spa at the Homestead. It was so nice just to sleep through the night, (since Kate didn't do that the entire time we were on vacation--teething!) It's been at least three years since we have "gotten away" like that. It was nice to spend time with each other without the kids and find out that we still like eachother!

And it was so fun to get together with friends a few nights before we left. We all met at Brick Oven, and it was a blast as usual. There's just never enough time to chat with everyone. I love that we have stayed in contact over the years. And I hope we continue to do so. It was so great to see you all!

So, now it's back to the grind, and onto my new year's resolutions. The main one being: DIET like CRAZY!!! I have to lose the 5 pounds that I gained over Christmas (yes, I braved the scale this morning, and it was frightening) and the other 10 that likes to hang around all the time. So, today was the first day, and I have to say I did pretty good. Although, I am starting to get that sugar-detox headache. Hopefully after this first week that will go away. So I'm joining the ranks of everyother person in the known world that has weight loss ambitions. I'm pretty determined, so I'll keep ya'll updated on my progress.

Oh, and I bet your wondering about the title of the post. Many of you already know that we may be moving to Oklahoma City for a year assignment. Well, we still haven't decided whether or not we will go, but hopefully some decisions will be made in the coming weeks. It would be a good training opportunity for Trevor. I am a little worried about the upheaval of our family, but at the same time, I feel the itch for the change. Does that make sense? We wouldn't sell our house in Houston. And if we do go, it would be this coming summer. One thing I do dread, and I know this sounds really stupid, but they don't have Costco in Oklahoma. I know, I need to get my priorities straight or get a life or something. But this is a big issue for me. Go ahead, tell me I'm ridiculous. But maybe there will be a miracle--like, Costco decides to open a warehouse right by us! That would be sweet. Everyone pray for a miracle. Otherwise, I may have to put on a brave face and get a... Sam's card (gasp!). I know. That's how I feel about it, too.

This post is just going on and on, so I will leave you with well wishes. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, and is keeping their new year's resolutions! :)

16 comments:

Devon said...

I'm totally with you on the Costco/Sam's Club thing...it's not even CLOSE to the same thing, and people who say otherwise are just plain crazy! It was so fun seeing you guys - thanks again for putting it all together!

Rachel said...

As always, it was GREAT to see you guys. I'm glad I got to visit with you at the house and my kids had a ball playing with your girls. Like I always say, I wish we lived closer. We really need to plan a girls sleepover night when/if you come back this summer!

Anonymous said...

I love Costco too. I don't know what I would do without it. Thanks again for arranging a fun evening while you were here. I love to chat with you. Best of luck getting back to your normal schedule.

jennie said...

I love your thoughts Annie. I would be broken-hearted without Costco. Good luck with Oklahoma. At least your kids will know how to spell it from the good ol' song.
It was so fun to see you and Trev at dinner the other night. I'm sad I didn't get to talk to you much. Thanks so much for putting the dinner together.
Oh, and I think you look great as usual. I wouldn't sweat the weight loss if I were you. Trevor is surrounded by 4 beauties in that house. xoxo

jennie said...

Oh... and BTW, I could offer our cabin for a girls sleep-over. I would love to do that.

Michelle Y said...

Sounds like you guys had a nice visit back to Utah. Its always fun to go see friends and family. I do agree with you, its always nice to come back to your own bed. I am in 100% agreement about Costco, my husband is even more obsessed than I am with the store. I will be praying for a Costco miracle in Oklahoma. Good luck!!

Molly said...

It was fun to see you guys over the holidays. I wisd h we could have seen more of you guys but the entire Claflin family got hit with a cold (hence Rubys' RSV) and then the stomach flu! We stayed away! The move sounds stressful but way exciting. Those are the kind o f adventures/opportunities that you HAVE to take before your kids get too old. And... maybe I am wrong but isn't it ..."the wind comes rolling down the plains?" I really don't know if that is right or not??

Layne & Kellie said...

I do miss Costco too. Funny how a lot of comment on that. Idaho Falls is the nearest city to have something like that and they only have a Sam's Club. But really nothing is better than Costco. Good luck with your decision on moving. I like change but I hate packing :) Loved the update on your family.

Annie said...

Sorry Molly...but I checked out the lyrics just to double-check. It's "sweepin'" not "rollin'". :)Here are the official lyrics:

Brand new state!
Brand new state, gonna treat you great!
Gonna give you barley, carrots and pertaters,
Pasture fer the cattle,
Spinach and termayters!
Flowers on the prarie where the June bugs zoom,
Plen'y of air and plen'y of room,
Plen'y of room to swing a rope!
Plen'y of heart and plen'y of hope.
Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.
Oklahoma,
Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I
Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk
Makin' lazy circles in the sky.
We know we belong to the land
And the land we belong to is grand!
And when we say
Yeeow! Ayipioeeay!
We're only sayin'
You're doin' fine,
Oklahoma!
Oklahoma O.K.
Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.
Oklahoma,
Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I
Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk
Makin' lazy circles in the sky.
We know we belong to the land
And the land we belong to is grand!
And when we say
Yeeow! Ayipioeeay!
We're only sayin'
You're doin' fine,
Oklahoma!
Oklahoma O.K.

Jen Tornow said...

Great post! I totally agree about the Costco comments. Costco is one of the #1 things I have missed since moving to NM. We have Sam's Club, but I agree with Devon...Sam's doesn't even compare to Costco! I know how strong your feelings are regarding Wal-mart---so don't waste your time on owning a card to the Wal-mart Warehouse! I so wish we had still been in town to see you all at Brick Oven! Good luck with your decision-making about OK City! And I was thinking the last time I saw you (at Melinda's house so long ago) that you looked so fantastic and so soon after having had your baby! Your my inspiration...just so you know!

Anonymous said...

I'm so with everyone on Costco and Sam's TOTALLY not the same! Glad you had a fun trip to Utah - I agree nice to be back in our own beds but, mostly for Ruby to be in hers!

Dottie Stay said...

Glad you got home safe and sound. It was such a blast to hang with you guys! I wish we lived closer, but I will not be moving to Oklahoma for the Costco reason alone. As we discussed! By the way, I could have told you all of the lyrics in the song. I was Laurie in the play when we were juniors in High School. Did I just admit that? Maybe I better erase it. Anyway, thanks for getting us all together. It was so so great to see everyone! Much Love!

Abby said...

Here's the important question: Does OK have Target? I think as long as there is Target therapy, you might be able to suffer through Costco-withdrawal...I think. That is very exciting though. Kids are resiliant--it'll be an adventure. Isn't there an assignment in Utah he could take?

Natalie said...

I'm glad you guys had a Great Christmas. I hear ya on the un-packing, It's never ending. I'm still recovering. Costco, thats hard! You can always do anyhting for a year though (easier said) Oklahoma would be a fun adventure! Change is always nice once in a while. Goodluck, can't wait to hear what you guys decide.

Diana said...

Itwas great to see you guys several different times at all the family parties! I have enjoyed reading your blog. You do a fantastic job at writing. I think it matches your personality very well. Your romantic getaway sounds so enjoyable. My family just came back yesterday from Midway. I think the three days we were thee four feet of snow was added! Hey...I'm sending you some more chocolate covered english toffee to sabotage your diet! Good Luck!

The Galan Family said...

Annie you are so funny! But I feel the exact same way about Costco and Target, I might add. We will be moving to Georgia in July and there is not a Costco in Augusta! It's the capital of Georgia and there is no COstco! There is one is Atlanta which is two hours away. I'm not sure how I'll survive. It was so good to see you guys over Christmas.