chalkboard

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

It Starts....

Well, we got through an entire week of school, and I already have a kid home from school sick. I'm beginning to have flashbacks of our first week of Kindergarten. Last year, after three days of school G came home with pink-eye. And from that point forward, it started a string of absences. Poor G's immune system just took a beating. Between September and December, I think she missed school 11 times. I even got the dreaded letter from the school district stating that if G missed many more days, she would have to repeat Kindergarten. What? They can make them take Kindergarten again?! Come on...she's a smart kid. She wasn't behind at all...but none the less, sickness was a regular occurrence. But it got better, after Christmas, we had a string of wellness. I was ecstatic! I would notice how healthy all of us were (probably because we were all home with a new baby and going nowhere, and washing hands a lot), but of course, me being the superstitious person that I am, whenever I would have those thoughts I would put them immediately out of my head and never utter the words out loud for fear that it would jinx us. Let's just say that we knock on wood a lot around here!
Anyway, I'm really hoping that this is not foreshadowing of what is to come this school year. I hate it when she misses school. I get all bent out of shape because of what it does to our routine and schedule. How selfish of me...but I was really looking forward to some good workouts at the Y this week. They were closed all last week for cleaning, and I ate WAY too much this weekend. And you all know about the M&Ms...so clearly I need to workout! So, get well soon G! By the way....what is she sick with, you ask? Pink Eye and a really bad cold. Do you see a pattern forming here?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with no sickness this year. My sister said she wasn't sure if my nephew would even be well enough for the first day of school - poor kid. I feel so bad when little kids get sick at school. Some stuff especially pink eye spreads like wildfire! Good luck with the new school year. I bet it will be so nice to be back into a routine.

Megan said...

I hate pink eye! Kids home from school sick is the worst! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Hunter was sick the first week of School too. He went the first day and was home the second. I hope she feels better soon!

Michelle Y said...

So sorry to hear pink eye is going around your home, no fun. Hopefully she'll bounce back quickly and you'll be back to the Y in no time.

PJC said...

I'm scared for when "school" germs start trickling into my house. I kept my babe out of nursery until she was 22 months old because I didn't want her to get sick. You think YOU are paranoid!

Dottie Stay said...

Oh, No! I am so sorry! that stinks. I hate that they go back to school, and all of the germs that go along with it. It is just fine to be paranoid, and a little strict with the hand washing etc.. Poor Ethan just walks into the house and washes his hands first thing. I hope that I haven't turned him into a OCD hand washing fool. But, better safe then sorry. The DR's office has been getting more and more busy. Definitely turning into 'the Season"

Rachel said...

We are seriously just getting better around here. I hate it when my kids are sick. Kamryn missed at least two weeks of school last year (she was in the hospital for part of it) being sick. It's just GREAT!

Natalie said...

Oh I feel for you! We are finally getting over (I'm probably jinxing myself now) this terrible sickness we have all had the past month! I hope Grace gets better. It's amazing how one child being sick throws everything off. Goodluck!

Sharlynn said...

Annie I feel for you. The joys of kids going to school. I hope that she doesn't get sick anymore. That is no fun. This will be a better year for you!

Layne & Kellie said...

Pink eye does not sound good. Ugh. Especially for a little kid. I hope she gets well soon. I heard a lot of teachers get sick the first week of two because of so many kids being sick. What a toss up... keep your kid home from school or send them so you don't get that dreaded letter. Good luck. Getter better soon Grace!runner11

Johnson said...

Annie...that is horrible. I hate germs and so I just make my kids germaphobic too. So, they have no friends, but by golly they don't get germs.....just kidding, in a dream world that would be nice but the truth is that no matter what we do..unless we just hermit around the house, we catch the nasty germs. IF only the sick would stay in when they are sick!!! My kids catch everything too!!!!! Good luck!!!!

Devon said...

I can't believe they would have made her repeat kindergarten! That just seems so wrong when it was the germs in school that made her sick in the first place. Well, at least now I have something ELSE to fear about school with McKinley...not just bad guys, but germs too! Thanks! Hope she feels better soon!

malia said...

Oh man! That stinks. I'm sorry that the school year didn't start off that great. Hopefully it will get better and that little immune system will kick in soon!