chalkboard

Saturday, May 19, 2007

It must be the hormones...

So, I went to the hair salon yesterday to get the standard highlights and a haircut. Usually no big deal--she highlights, she cuts hair, she blow dries, and I leave a new woman with a new lease on life (at least for the next 6 weeks.) Amazing how hair really affects my mood. Well, in the middle of the hair blow-drying, I notice that my hair does NOT look any lighter, in fact, it looks darker to me (and very stripey). In my mind, I'm thinking, "What have I been doing for the last 2 hours--did I imagine her put the bleach in my hair and put me under a blow dryer for it to process?" Neither of us can figure out why it didn't work. On the outside, I'm telling her "Oh, it's fine." But on the inside my head was going to explode! I didn't have time for hair malfunctions. I had a Kindergarten program to attend, a sick two-year old, and piano lessons to teach! It put me in a very bad mood, which I'm not proud to admit, I took out on my family what I should have taken out on my hairstylist. But all is well now. I went back this morning, and she attempted to fix it. It looks much better, but still not as blonde as I'm used to. We chalked it up to the post-pregnancy and still-lactating state of my hormones. Apparently they can really mess up hair color. I sure miss you Megan! (I had many less hair emergencies when you lived close by.)

My baby girl is almost done with Kindergarten! She had her end-of-the-year Kindergarten program on Friday. I can't believe she's going to be in 1st grade next year! Where did this past year go? It was really a cute program called "Jammin' with Mama Goose." She even got a speaking part, which she was very excited about.






Trevor is very proud of his littlest baby girl that apparently has a great love for the University of Texas at Austin. She's showing her pride by flashing the Hookem' Horns sign. Now for all ya'll out there who don't know what hook em' horns means, go ask a sports buff, and they'll tell that what's people do when they are showing their UT pride.
I don't know, maybe I'm wrong...she could just be sucking on her fingers!
A warning to those with weak stomachs--the following picture is extremely gruesome and not for the faint of heart. This ladies and gentlemen, is one HUGE reason you should not live where I live. Besides the humidity and stifling summers that last until October, the roaches tend to be that last straw that broke the camel's back. We have our house sprayed regularly, like good Houstonians should. Those that don't are living in denial that they don't have a roach problem. Everyone, I repeat, EVERYONE, has roaches here. If you say you never see them, well, just get your house sprayed and you will begin to see dead roaches turning up--literally. Yesterday, Terminix came and did their standard job around the perimeter of the house. Trevor happened to be home, so he had them do the interior of our garage, which apparently hasn't been done in a while. Holy cow--today when I pulled the car into the garage I noticed all the casualties that had taken place overnight. Disgusting! I HATE bugs of every shape and size. When we first moved here and I would see the occasional roach I would think, "that's it, I can't take this, I'm selling the house and moving to Antarctica where there are no bugs!" When I saw my first dead roach I called the exterminators that had sprayed the house prior to us unpacking, and starting telling her about our roach "problems" in a very concerned and probably whiny voice. The lady on the other end of the conversation said, "Honey, you're not from here, are you?" I'm sure she thought I was crazy. Because, apparently, it is not a roach problem if they are turning up dead--only if you are finding them alive (which has really only happened once to me and it was VERY traumatizing.)
**Now I need to put a little disclaimer. This post makes it sound like their are roaches crawling all over my house. That's not true. They are mainly outside, and only when it gets hot enough outside do they attempt to come in, where they immediately die because we spray regularly. So still feel free to visit us anytime, and most likely you will not have any roach encounters. But I make no promises. :)

7 comments:

Dottie Stay said...

Grace is so cute!! I can't believe that he is so grown up! Kate is so cute! You make me laugh so hard. I hate bugs too. They make my skin crawl. We had a ton of ear wigs the first year we lived here, and I though I wa sgoing to die! i made the guy ome back again because I thouht they didn't do a good job, and I kept seeing them. I am sure that thy thought I had lost my mind. I don't care, just get rid of the bugs!! Loved the post, and don't worry I would still love to come and visit!

Jen said...

I feel the same way you do about my hair appointments. I would have been so bummed! When Spencer was born we had a bee problem in our apartment. I felt like it was me against the bees. I would chase them all over the house and come up with creative ways to kill them! Rich thought I was nuts, but I think it was just basic human instinct to protect your young. :)

Rachel said...

Can you believe our babies are almost six? It is amazing. I am actually dreading the 1st grade thing since Kamryn is such an awesome helper. I don't know what I'm going to do when she's gone ALL day. I guess you had to adjust to that one already with Grace, but holy cow- all day?! Good luck with the bugs and the hair- two very frusterating things!

Megan said...

I must put a plug in for your hair dresser. She was probably just as frustated about the fact that your hair didn't turn out as planned. I hate that! All that work, you being dissapointed and then her having to ask you to come back later, mess up your schedule and hers! Hair! It's soo emotional! I'm sorry that is frustrating! I remember the cockroaches of Houston. We would turn out the kitchen lights at night and listen to them scurry across the floor. I'll never forget that!

Annie said...

Yes, I agree. She was so frustrated. But very nice about fixing it. After all, it's not her fault my hormones took over my hair color!

Jen Tornow said...

I loved the disclaimer Annie!! I don't do well with bugs of any kind, so I sympathize! Beautiful pictures of your girls. You all look so happy...well, except for the roach!

glo said...

Annie, that picture is great 'cause the roach is upside down...a good sign. You aint seen nuttin' yet--those are little compared to the ones that live in trees and fly at you at night in my hometown, Charleston, SC. Yep, deyz uglee tew.