chalkboard

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Our home...a squirrel's paradise

So, here it is...a veritable squirrels paradise. We live in a heavily-wooded area of Houston. Our whole neighborhood is full of trees. Our lot alone has 20-30 trees, and for some reason the squirrels prefer our yard. At any given time during the day, you will see numerous squirrels frolicking in our trees, running along our fence, and even playing on our swing set in the backyard. It's like disneyland for squirrels! When we first moved in, we thought it was so cute. In the above picture, in the big tree, do you see the stump that kind of sticks out? That's the squirrel's little perch to sit on while he eats his little acorns. I actually caught one in action a couple of weeks ago.
Awww...cute right? Sure, you can continue to think that for the moment. While these little creatures are cute, they are wily little devils. Last spring, in the wee morning hours one morning (Trevor had just left for work, so I was alone), I heard some rustling above my head. I totally freaked out. I thought someone (or something) was in my house. My bedroom is on the main floor, and the girls are upstairs, which is where I head the rustling coming from. I immediately called Trevor (it was about 6:30am, and he had just walked into his office), and was whispering on the phone that something was in the house. I didn't know what to do. I ran upstairs and barricaded off the rooms in which I heard the noises, so that whatever it was couldn't get into the rest of the house. I continued to hear the rustling noises as well as some animal chatter. So I knew it was an animal of some sort. Well, to make a long story short, we had squirrels in our attic. And every morning, I would be awakened to them knocking their nuts and acorns around, and scampering through the walls. I called Critter Control, and they came and set traps on the roof and in the attic and found a hole in our roof where the squirrels had chewed their way in. (And you thought they were cute and friendly! oh no.) Do you think that we caught any squirrels in those traps? Oh no, they are way too smart for traps. Look in the below picture. Do you see the above the upper window some vents? Well, we also discovered that they were getting there as well.

So, Trevor fixed all the points of entry. He put chicken wire over the attic vents, and for a year we have been squirrel-free (in the house, anyway). Well, a couple of weeks ago, we started to hear a bit of rustling in the room that is just under that attic vent (you know, the one with the chicken wire). Trevor ran outside, and guess what he saw! A racoon was hanging from the tippy top of the roof upside down, pulling up the chicken wire. That's right, the racoons and squirrels have formed an alliance against us. Here's a close-up picture of what the racoon did. Incredible!!


Trevor threw a stick at it, and scared it off. And the next day, he climbed up there and fixed the chicken wire. So, problem solved, right? Read on, dear friends, the fun isn't over.

Well, this morning (and when I say morning, I mean 4 am!), I was enjoying the first full night's sleep in several days due to a sick baby, and what do I awaken to? Not a baby crying...but the rustling above my head! I listen for a while in shock! How are these creatures getting in?! I rolled over and said, "those d#$% squirrels!" Trevor just laughed...he had been awakened as well. Neither one of us could go back to sleep because they were being so loud.
Let's not think about the fact, that they could be chewing through my electrical wires, and could possibly cause a fire. Let's not think about the fact that they are probably having their babies in my house. That's right, it's that special time of year when animals procreate. Let's not think about the possibility of spending another $200 to have Critter Control come set traps that WON'T catch them. I'm not going to think about any of these things.
I will, however, be making a trip to the sporting goods store and seriously consider buying a pellet gun.

14 comments:

Kinsey Pistorius said...

hilarious! you simply crack me up! i love your writing and it is just too funny of a story. No worries, my house in Champion Forest growing up would get roaches from all the trees... YIKES!

Annie said...

Oh, Kinsey, you need to read my previous posts about roaches. We get those, too. Lucky us!

Devon said...

Oh Annie, you are the best! I mean, if you can't swear at a squirrel, what can you swear at? Where we live, we had a little battle with voles in our yard and grass (holes everywhere) and the little suckers love windowwells and eating through window screens. Milt would run outside with a broom (or a shovel when he was really angry) at the merest hint of a rustle, but we never had them actually come inside (the neighbors weren't so lucky!) We are proud to have been vole-free for over a year now (probably thanks to Milt's overabundant love of Rat poison in our yard...so we have no voles, but I'm afraid to let our children play in our own grass!) Good luck...may you win the war with the little guys!

Laura Law said...

I'm ready for target practice whenever you are...
Laura

aaron and allee said...

Gorgeous house! Sorry to hear the critters are causing such trouble!

Ace said...

I can't even imagine! I can't even stand to catch mice in my house, let alone larger rodents. I would've sworn too. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is so crazy! I love when things like this happen because we have nothing better to do, right? Good luck catching the squirrels!

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh! As much as I'd love to own a home, and as appealing as the home prices in Texas are, you just gave me another reason that I could never move there! I'm so sorry, I'd be cursing the squirrels too. Maybe you need to get a few outdoor cats!!! Oh, and a dog to chase away the raccoon!

Annie said...

I really don't know what would be worse--cleaning up after a pet, or dealing with squirrels. I think I'll take the squirrels for now. :)

jennie said...

I loved every second of reading this post. I can just hear you swearing about the squirrels. I love that about you. Good luck with those creative critters. Have you tried poison? Like rat bait or something?

Johnson said...

I too could hear you swearing and I could also hear Trevor laughing. I am so so sorry about the squirrels and the racoons and the roaches. But, um, hello, do you live in a mansion? Maybe they figure it is big enough for the whole famdamily!!! Gorgeous!!!!! Good luck and I would gladly come and scare them off for you!!

Michelle Y said...

Such a funny post (from this end anyway, I'm not the one being awaken at 4 am to squirrels and such). Hope you find a good solution and QUICK!! We LOVE having your sister in law in our ward, she is an AWESOME missionary!!! Glad we get to keep her here for a few more weeks...

Angela, Grady and Boys said...

That is way too funny! Every post you make, makes me laugh! And it was fun to see your way cute house too! I've never seen a picture before. Hope all is well out there in Texas! Oh..and if it makes you feel any better, we have a gopher problem out at our other house! There are tons of huge holes he has dug in the grass...luckily for us, I think we might have it sold. Either way, good luck with the squirrels! :)

Diana said...

That really was hillarious. Your writing is so clever. Good Luck. I guess crickets are tolerable compared to squirrels. Sorry! Your house looks darling.