chalkboard

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Shots


So all three of my girls had well-check doctor's appointments today. I wanted to get all of them done, so we did it all today in hopes that it would be quick and painless. When I scheduled the appointmens 3 weeks ago, Grace happened to overhear the conversation and immediately started asking me over and over whether she would be given shots or not. You see, she is a sensitive child and little overly dramatic. She immediately started crying and carrying on about shots that she "might" receive in 3 WEEKS! I told her, she probably wouldn't need immunizations, but she would definitely be getting a flu shot, and she didn't need to worry...especially since it wasn't happening immediately. Well, when she woke up this morning, the first words out of her mouth were about the impending doctor's visit. I took the two younger girls to their appointments right after breakfast, and all went very smoothly. I was able to rationally tell Holly that she was going to get a quick poke, and it would be okay, and if she would be very good she would get a treat. She did her duty, put a brave face on, cried for just a few seconds, and then was good as gold. After that I was even able to talk her into going down to the lab where they would do another quick poke so they could take her blood to run some tests. She didn't even care! She rocked that blood test like no other 3 year old could. The baby cried for maybe a minute for her shots, but as soon as the band-aids were on, she was just fine. Well, after lunch, I go to check Grace out of school to take her to her appointment. As soon as she gets in the car it's the Spanish Inquisition! "Mom, how many shots do I have to have? Are they going to do it at the beginning or the end of the appointment? Are you sure it won't hurt worse than when I got my ears pierced, because I remember last time you told me that and it hurt worse, and I cried..." on and on and on. Seriously, last time this child had her shots, I was physically laying on top of her trying to restrain her long enough for the poor nurse to get the job done. Today was no different. A nurse came in to take the baby so I could help "restrain" Grace. She literally freaks out so much that she doesn't even feel the shots. It's the same thing every time. After all the screaming and commotion was over, she asked me what had happened. It's like she goes out of her mind, and doesn't even remember what happened! It's the anticipation that freaks her out. Next time, I am just not going to tell her when her appointment is, and just surprise her.
Trevor got his shots today, too, at work. So everyone in my little family (me excluded) were all comparing their band-aids and telling their "stories" tonight at bedtime. Funny stuff.

11 comments:

Kristen said...

Grace is just like Brooke! She almost made herself sick last month when it was time for the flu shots! I had to chase her down the hallway, tackle and drag her in to the exam room and hold her down. All the while, she is screaming at the top of her lungs, get this... "I might kill myself!" I about died!
When it was all said and done, she boasted about how brave she was! And of course, she rubbed her shoulder for the next two weeks, citing "pain" from her flu shot!
ARGH!

Jen Tornow said...

Good idea to get it all done in one day! Isn't it funny how different children can be with shots?

Anonymous said...

I love "shot" day. My Hunter is just like Grace. He will question me for weeks about the upcoming shots too. A few weeks ago the kids had to get flu shots. When I got to the doctor they gave the choice to have a shot or the new flu mist that they squirt in your nose. Needless to say, they all chose the mist. It was the best flu shot appointment ever. Last year Hunter was puking in a bucket after he had his shots. It took 3 of us to hold him down too. The other kids are like Holly, they cry and get over it. Funny kids!

Natalie said...

Oh how I hate the shot day! That reminds me I need to take Olivia in for some, yikes!

Johnson said...

I swear, maybe it is the first child thing. Dallin kills me everytime we go and then he ends up laughing afterwards because he can't believe it didn't hurt that bad. Funny thing is that he is awesome at the dentist. Give him all the shots you want in his mouth and he is fine but put it somewhere else and hear screaming from a 7 year old. Greg is the oldest and he about passes out each time. I don't know if you remember Bro. Horton but he went to go get a flu shot and passed out and when he came too he had peed his pants. I am sure he would love me passing that story on!!!

Rachel said...

Kamryn's kindergarten shots were the same way! I was embarrassed because she was screaming so insanely. Troy's mom brought flu shots to our house and gave them to us there. The bad thing was that Addy was asleep when she came and so she woke up to a shot in her arm. She was ticked and I felt like the worst mom ever!

Molly said...

I am the exact same way about speaking in church Grace... no worries, whatever gets you through it right?

Kate, Brian and Hazel said...

Annie
That is so funny about Grace. I think Hazel and Grace are very much the same in that department. Lil drama queens!
btw, Brian went Christmas tree cutting with your dad and uncle today. They left at 7 a.m. and he is still not back (6p.m.) what an adventure!
later
Kate

Dottie Stay said...

Ethan is the same way! It is like a major crisis in his life, and Carter told me after his flu shot that it tickled! How can kids be so different. I love the parents tat come into the clinic and tell me that there child needs an S-H-O-T and spell it out for me. Like that is going to help. It is much worse when it is a surprise attack.

Layne & Kellie said...

Funny how shots seem so scary when you are little. Owen already recognizes the word "shot." It is no bueno for him...I can't wait until he gets older and really can understand the whole thing. So many great things to look forward too.

malia said...

That is so funny! I'm glad that it is over for YOU and for her! :) I think your next time plan is a great one. Glad that the other two didn't give you as much trouble.