chalkboard

Monday, September 1, 2014

Last week of summer

So, it rains a lot here. ALOT. I kind of love it. But I thought I had left the land of mosquitoes...not so much. Have I talked about this? I feel like I've talked about this. Here in the Netherlands, there is no such thing as air conditioning in homes. Weird, right? It just doesn't get hot enough for long enough for there to be a need. But, on those few days that it does get warm enough, you have to open your windows to cool down the house. Well, the windows don't have screens. This country needs a lesson in window screens! So, since it rains here, there are mosquitoes. And since there are no screens on the windows, they get into the house. And eat everyone alive. Poor Holly has eleven mosquito bites on her face. And that many on her arm, too.  We haven't been leaving the windows open for a few weeks, but they seem to sneak in when we open the front door. It's like they're a different breed, too. They itch forever and ever, and get all swollen. So, here's hoping we get some cold weather to kill the suckers off. Okay, rant over.

We've just been chillin' out waiting for school to start. Tomorrow is the big day. I think the kids are nervous. New school, new country, new everything.  Trevor's actually in London this week, which means I get to navigate the bakfiets, four kids, and two different schools in the morning. I'm a little nervous, myself! (And a little jealous that he's in one of my favorite cities without me.)

We did have one day of beautiful sunshine this week. So I took the kids to Delft. The place where all the blue and white china comes from. It's only 15 minutes away from our house. It was so pretty outside. We just walked through town and toured the Old and New Churches. The Old Church (Oude Kerk) was built in 1246 and the New Church (Nieuwe Kerk) in 1496--so not super new. ;) While we toured the Old Church someone was playing the organ. We all thought it was pretty cool.




New Church



Town Hall

cute kids



Old Church
We stopped for some lunch at an outdoor cafe. 



And then we toured the Royal Delft Porcelain Factory and saw how they made these:
 All in all, a fun day. On Saturday, we ventured out to do some shopping. It really is so much easier to get around this city on a bike, because you don't have to worry about parking.  This time, Trevor hauled the kids. I snapped this pic mid-ride.



And Holly got a new bike! She left hers at Grandma's house in the states so she would have something to ride when we are there. I think she just wanted an excuse to get a new bike here! :)
Isn't it adorable? Dutch bikes are very practical and come equipped with everything you need to haul a lot of stuff. 
Cute girl and a cute bike. Hope it doesn't get stolen!
Wish us luck for tomorrow! First day of school here we come!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congrats on your new adventure! just a note that hand sanitizer often stops the mosquito itch. but also there are some great essential oils you can use in lotion as a natural & healthy (nice smelling) repellent- and also to stop the itch & heal the bites super fast. I'm pretty sure you can order in Holland but check the website. if not, maybe in laws can get some and send or save for you when up you visit. the ones I use are PURIFICATION, THIEVES & PEPPERMINT from www.youngliving org Keep the posts coming!! Raven Rubottom