chalkboard

Monday, April 20, 2009

one of those days

Have you ever just had one of those days at church? You know, one of those days. When you can't seem to get out the door to be on time. And I know Trevor's out of town, so that sounds like a good excuse to be late, but let's be honest. I have to get everyone ready alone every Sunday, because he always has meetings. Nope, I was just late because it was one of those mornings that I really tried to get all three girls hair done cute with ribbons and everything. Those hairdo's take too much time, and are usually the one item to get chopped if I'm in a time crunch.

So, it was ward conference, and we come marching in at about 15 after. Already embarrassing since we sit on the 4th row and the stake president is there to boot. Luckily, I had only missed all the sustainings, and we were still in time for the sacrament...phew! But then commences the three-ring circus. I swear how is a mommy suppose to focus on thoughts of the Savior during the sacrament when her children are all wanting to sit on top of her?! I ask you! Holly was having a meltdown over not getting Goldfish yet (she was supposed to wait until after the sacrament before breaking out the snacks.) Kate's just always bad, let's be honest. She was insisting on holding her huge sippy cup, her stuffed bear, and her temple board book all at the same time and sitting on my lap so I could turn the pages...all while Holly is burrowing her hed into my side and quietly sobbing--thus getting my dress all wet. Grace would start to cuddle up too, and I would just shoot her one of those looks that say "If you come any closer, I'll probably kill you!" All the while, people just keep smiling at me thinking my kids are just so cute! If they only knew. So, the Stake President gets up to speak, and I would love to be listening, but who can hear anything over the constant ruckus of the circus going on around me. Then my cell phone starts ringing! That's right people, judge me all you want...I was that person at church today. I am completely mortified! (Remember how we are on the 4th row and the head honcho is still speaking???) I usually turn it on "stun" mode, but I was so busy dealing with my kids that I had completely forgotten it was even in my purse. Luckily it wasn't super loud, and I scrambled to get it turned off. I was so angry at myself, and I just wanted to crawl in a hole and cry. I'm sure I was completely red in the face.

So, that was my day at church...how was your's?

P.S.--I was asking some friends that were sitting right by us if they had heard my phone go off, and they all said no. It was some kind of miracle! I'm sure the "big guy" heard, though.

7 comments:

The Galan Family said...

okay, this is my sunday EVERY single week. Seriously. Perry was in the bishopric, but now he is just out of town all the time. A few sundays ago, I had to leave the chapel with one of my fit-throwing kids and of course all my other kids followed me out in a circus like way. While I was in the foyer, my phone started ringing. That's right. And I have the volume up all the way because I can never hear it in my purse. The worst part is that my ring tone is the theme song to the "The Office" and I was not there to turn it off! Nobody was. So it just kept on ringing and ringing. Everybody told me after that they were all giggling because they knew it was my phone. I'm sure that totally ruined the spirit in sacrament meeting for everyone. Good times. I feel your pain.

Ginny Johnson said...

Hang in there Anne, Trev will be home soon! I've decided every Sunday with kids is pretty much a waste.

Annie said...

Sarah, I'm laughing out loud. That is so funny! I can totally see that happening...to me! :) Let's hope, for the sake of the people that sit by me at church, that next Sunday is better.

Anonymous said...

This sounds oh so familiar! Heck you've seen us at church! I swear I always forget something vital each Sunday and it never fails we are ALWAYS late! But, we are slowly getting there earlier and earlier hopefully there is hope for us yet. Jeff never dares to sit even close to the 4th row! Kudos to you for surviving and better luck next week -whatever you'll be at D-World! Hooray!

Rachel said...

That is me every Sunday! Last week my kids were fighting-literally punching each other, and yelling, "You aren't my friend anymore!" After church a lady asked me, "Are you having any more kids?" and I said, "No, we're done." And she said, "That's good." What? Thanks a lot lady! It probably is good though since I can't teach them how to behave!

Devon said...

Oh the joys of Sunday. Aren't they such peaceful days? I swear, every time Sacrament meeting ends, Milt and I look at each other with a look of, "yea! We made it!" And I have a friend who believes that children don't need snacks or coloring things during Sacrament, and that they should just be able to sit on the bench quietly and listen (from 18 months on). AND HER KIDS REALLY DO THAT! I swear, maybe it's genetics, but my kids don't have a patient bone in their body! So I completely sympathize!

And we actually do have a Costco, but it is the smallest one in the Eastern half of the United States (according to one of the employees). And it is smack dab next to one of the biggest malls in the country! It's crazy! So yes, we go there often, but they hardly have anything that we usually get, and they rotate stuff so that if you finally see something once that you need, it probably won't be there the next time. It's so sad! But yes, it would be worse without a Costco at all, I guess.

aaron and allee said...

Oh, Annie, that post just makes me want to cry because I have been there myself (minus a few kids, though). Mason has only sat through a few sacrament meetings...we are the disruptive family and can usually be found roaming the halls.